Tuesday, June 19, 2007

glimmers of hope in the classroom

I've been reminded this week about the privileges of teaching. This term is a particularly stressful one with reports, and schemes of work to finish, and stuff to put in place for next year, jobs to find etc. It's easy to forget that we're actually there for the kids.

In the last week I've been able to:

- share communion with one of the girls I teach every day (she came to our church with a friend)
- teach my class about prayer, what it is and why we do it because the scheme of work said to
- spend snatched moments throughout the day praying for kids

It's hard these days - there are so many rules and regulations, ways to be PC, things to make sure you don't say in case anyone gets offended etc etc etc. Children could go through school never knowing much about who their teacher is and what they believe. In some ways, it really doesn't matter, it's the way we do things that shows them God, even if they/we don't realise it at the time. And it's those times we pray for them which really set things in place spiritually for their lives. But it's nice to have the opportunity to share more directly too, when kids ask or when they turn up at your church or when the RE curriculum allows it.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that's very true, and good on you for saying it! I think I would have given up long ago if it wasn't for the kids!
    I realised today that I was getting very cross with one of the children because he is constantly trying to annoy me and just doesnt want to do work a lot of the time. And I was starting to dislike said child. But he has his problems and I wont give up on him, he will learn and enjoy it, and though I am being a grumpy-puss with him lots of the time, I must remember to pray for him and show him kindness etc.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Sometimes I do go on...