I've been making cupcakes for my sister in law's 30th birthday party this afternoon. The whole process started with me googling for interesting cupcake recipes to suit the occasion. There are loads of fantastic cupcake recipes out there - I chose Chocolate Mud Cupcakes, Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes and Lemon Meringue Cupcakes, as well as the Caramel Macchiato Cupcakes here.
I've modified the recipe a little bit so I'm going to share it here. The original is on the My Buttery Fingers blog.
313g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
180ml strongly brewed coffee, cooled to warm
1 tbsp Tia Maria
170g unsalted butter, softened
1 sachet Starbucks VIA instant coffee
Additional Tia Maria to add afterwards
1. Preheat oven to 170c
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time
4. Mix in coffee, milk and Tia Maria
5. Add flour and baking powder and mix until fully integrated
6. Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 15-18 minutes
7. When cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool.
8. Once the cakes are cooled, make a small opening in the top of each one with a knife and gently pour half a teaspoon of Tia Maria into each one. This will enhance the coffee flavour, and give moist cakes.
Whipped Cream Topping
200g (around 1 cup) whipping cream
3 tbsp (40g) sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tsp Tia Maria
Caramel ice cream sauce
1. Beat cream and sugar together until soft peaks begin to form
2. Add vanilla extract and Tia Maria
3. Pipe or spoon onto the top of each cake
4. Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the cakes.