Monday, April 10, 2006

read and to read

Read:
In A Strange Land by Mary Bolster
I bought this book just after Christmas but PGCE and all I only just got around to reading it. It's a romantic fiction set in a very true situation - the political conflict and emotional turmoil of the current situation in Burma and the resulting displacement of the Karen people into camps in Thailand. I've visited these camps twice, once with Mary and both times with her husband. Mary's writing brings the memories, sights, sounds, smells all flooding back and I would hope that it would make it seem almost as real to any reader who hadn't been there too. She blends the political complexities of the situation with extreme depth of character writing and gripping storyline - I really was hooked! I realise I'm biased because of my previous involvement but I really do recommend this book. It's not destined to stand on the shelves of classic literature but it is a good read and it presents the reality of the situation in an easy to read and understand format.



To Read:
Captivating, Stasi EldredgeCaptivating by Stasi Eldredge
I've just bought this and plan to read it while I'm in Tenerife next week. I've heard mixed reviews of it, from Ruth who loved it to my friends at church who hated it and others in between. I think it stirs up contention because of its extreme feminine and feminist views so we'll see! Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Sometimes I do go on...